2013 Mental Health Awareness Essay Contest
For High School Students: write an Essay on the Topic of "What is the #1 Mental Health Issue Affecting Me and/or My Friends?" Please Share Your Journey and Insights.
October 12, 2013
2013 Mental Health Awareness Essay Contest Winners
Motivated by the increasing number of heartbreaking events related to the mental health of teenagers, this year Culture to Culture Foundation sponsored an essay contest asking high school students to describe the number one mental health issue affecting high school students today. We were deeply touched, inspired, and educated by the 127 personal testimonies and insights that were submitted. Some of those students shared their stories in this video:
The 2013 Mental Health Essay Contest Award ceremony was held at Dougherty Valley High School in San Ramon on October 12, 2013. Six distinguished judges read 127 essays submitted by students from many San Francisco Bay Area high schools. The judges for the contest are:
- Guita Bahramipour - Chair, Alcohol and Other Drugs Advisory Board
- Ms. Kathy Kane, Clinical Director at the Discovery Counseling Center
- Ken Mintz, President of the San Ramon School District Board
- Glenn Wohltmann, Reporter for Pleasanton Weekly, Danville Express, San Ramon Express, and the Tri-Valley Views
- G. Julie Xie, Ph.D., School Psychologist at Fremont Unified School District
- Dr. Paul Yang, M.D., Ph.D., Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco
Ten winners and ten honorable mentioned were announced.
Read the 2013 Mental Health Award Program, which includes excerpts from some of the submitted essays to get insights on mental health issues affecting high school students today.
2013 Mental Health Awareness Essay Contest Information
Topic: "What is the #1 mental health issue affecting me and/or my friends? Please share your jouney and insights."
Limit: 1000 words
Applicants: high school students
Awards: $500 scholarships for select winners
Submit by May 30, 2013
Email questions and submission to: email@example.com